View Thread
 Print Thread
Webcams & Software I use for this site
Joe Kriz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/02/06 - 03:02 PM

Site Owner

Photo Album

I have been asked several times what I use for equipment and software to produce the photos for the webcams.

1. Cameras: Firewire capable Digital Video Camcorder. I have a Sony and a Cannon.
You can use other types of cameras including your regular Digital Camera but I prefer the Camcorder. You can even use your iSight camera if you have one. Just turn it around and face it out the window unless you have the newer Apple computers that have the iSight built-in. My office cam is using my external iSight camera.

2. Software: I use Evocam which is designed for the Macintosh.
It cost $25 and also has a free 15 day trial version so you can see how it works before you buy.
http://www.evological.com/

I have a Video Camcorder hooked up to two different computers in separate rooms. Each Camcorder and Computer send the image to my Internet Provider on my storage space in my Directory. You can choose to upload and save photos or quicktime movies. These can also be archived, emailed to yourself or anyone, plus many other options.

The Firewire cameras need to be within 15 feet of the computer because that is the longest distance you can run a firewire cable. In the early days with "S" Video connected cameras, you could run the cables up to around 100 feet if I remember correctly. The cameras themselves are not wireless because these need to be hooked up to the computer with the firewire cable. However, the computers are wireless which allows the computer to upload the photos or send email, etc., through my wireless network.

If anyone has any further questions, just ask them here.

Joe Kriz

Jump to Forum:
Today's Date & Time
May 20, 2024 - 12:27 AM
Random Photo

Users Online
Welcome
Tucker
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 323
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.04 seconds Copyright JoeKriz.com © 1996-2024 1,435,392 unique visits