View Thread
 Print Thread
Time to Backup?
Joe Kriz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/06 - 10:11 PM

Site Owner

Photo Album

Yes, for all of you that are worried about losing all your data that is in your computer, now is the time to start thinking about it before it is too late.

You can buy a backup drive now and spend a little money, or later on when your computer crashes, your can spend a lot of money and worry whether or not any of your data can be saved or not. Hopefully you will not have to make a presentation the next day with all your missing data, Ouch..... Then you are really out of luck.

You can buy inexpensive external hard drives or other media to back up your important documents, email, photos and music. I purchased a 300 GIG external hard drive for my needs. I have a lot of photos, music and tons of emails that I really do not want to lose. I also have 3 computers that I backup all their data onto the external drive. This way all my computers are backed up and protected. My external drive is plugged into one of my computers and then the other computers can access it wirelessly as I am on a wireless network throughout the house including the printer/fax/scanner...

I probably won't mention this again in the future so I highly and strongly recommend purchasing some kind of backup system. If you have any kind of data that you don't want to lose, you should do something.

Many of us have CD burners in our computers. That is an easy way to backup your important data for safe keeping as long as you keep up with it. Burning a CD does take time as you are all aware. Backing up to an external drive or other device is a lot quicker and you can also replace older items with newer ones much easier and quicker. I backup all of the computers once a month for sure and some things more frequently if I feel it necessary.

Whatever way you choose, think about backing up your important items NOW...
If you don't do in NOW, you can't cry (wolf) later.... :-)

This post is part of the many tips that i will be mentioning in the future.
For those of you that signed up for Apple Computer News and Help, this is part of that arrangement. As of right now, all the members can read this post, in the future, only the people that sign up for Apple Computer News and Help will be able to access these types of posts. This is mainly because many members here aren't that concerned what we do with our Apple Computers as they are running some other type of computer and, I Don't Do Windows.

For those of you that want to sign up, see the other post on Apple Computers. You can reply to that post or send me a PM.

Joe Kriz

Abalonehunter
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/02/06 - 02:05 PM

Hi Joe, Been a long time since I emailed you, since we are now whalerless, you might recall that my family has had a 22 Revenge WT, a generic 17 and the last was a 76 21 foot banana. I've been a mac user since the SE came out, now using a dual G4 1.25 gHz machine. My folks live out in a rural area, not quite as rural as yours, actually you've passed by their area if you've gone out to Bodega Bay with Tony. They use one of the last generations of emacs and I'd like to set up a cam to take a picture every few minutes, download it back to the computer and upload it to comcast for safe keeping. I could hard wire one but if there is a wireless option I'd rather do that, i haven't looked for cams yet thought I'd ask for your advise first. On a similar note can the computer be asleep while pics are being taken and uploaded or must it be awake? Best bang for the buck is also key too. I'm pretty knowledgeable about networks and computers so you don't have to go into too much detail, I'm pretty much looking for something that is tried and true.

Thanks in advance for your help.

George Lincoln

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/02/06 - 02:46 PM

Site Owner

Photo Album

Hello George, good to hear from you.
I will explain what I use in the way of cameras and software in another post so everyone can see it with a title that has something to do with cameras rather than the title of this thread.
See this thread:
http://www.joekriz.com/forum/viewthre...21#post_68

I want to also answer some of your other questions here.

I don't know of any wireless cameras that would work unless you are will to mortgage your entire family... There are self contained cameras that include a built-in computer but these aren't cheap either.

I would just use a simple camera. Whether it was your Digital Camera, a Digital Camcorder, or just an iSight or something similar.

Sleeping computers. The computer screen can go to sleep but not the Hard Drive.
If the hard drive goes to sleep then the software will not continue to upload. This hasn't bothered me in the least. There is a setting in your 'Energy Saver' control panel for this option if you are running OS X... Probably OS 9 too but I haven't looked at 9 in years...

I hope this helps and hope to hear back from you if you have any other questions.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/02/06 - 03:13 PM
Joe Kriz

Jump to Forum:
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 9:40 PM
Random Photo
Scott Valley Flood-1
Duane and Betty Petry

Users Online
Welcome
Tucker
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 1
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 323
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Render time: 0.11 seconds Copyright JoeKriz.com © 1996-2024 1,435,380 unique visits